Continuing Legal Education
Many of our events and speaking engagements are CLE accredited.
View all CLE programs
We also provide tailored CLE presentations and other training sessions on site for clients and friends of the firm
View subjects for tailored presentations.
March 24, 2022
Ask an Attorney: A Legal Resource for Game Developers
For entrepreneurs who grew up on video games, what could be more fun than developing your own game? But life imitates art and sometimes developing a game may feel like its own battle royale. Behind every new game title is an important architecture of law and contracts, an understanding of which may help game developers navigate their way to success. What do game developers need to know as they embark on new projects and structure their relationships? Experienced hands as well as noobs will benefit from this complimentary presentation led by Frankfurt Kurnit interactive entertainment lawyer Dorian Slater Thomas. Topics include:
- -Who owns what: developer agreements, distribution agreements and other key contracts.
- -Which game elements are protectable?
- -Getting paid: license fees vs. participations.
- -Inspiration v infringement: How much copying is permissible?
- -Musicians, athletes, and historical figures — right of publicity traps to avoid.
- -Posting and commenting traps to avoid – and other content “watch outs.”
- -Films, books and other ancillary projects.
- -A review of recent key cases.
- -And much more.
Date: Thursday, March 24th, 2022
Time: 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM PST
Location: Iron Horse Cocktails, 25 Maiden Ln, San Francisco, CA 94108
Proof of Vaccination required for entry